Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Arrr, Me Mateys!


I just revisited the two-disc set Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteysa compilation that came out in 2006, and am in full can't stop listening mode. This is fantastic stuff. Although there are some big names on the album (Sting, Bono, Lucinda Williams), it is the lesser-knowns that are most memorable for me. Baby Gramps for instance, who has a unique style on the guitar, and a rough and ready voice quite appropriate for pirate songs. He even goes into some throat-singing which gives his a voice an otherwordly sound. Also, Three Pruned Men's take on "Bully in the Alley" is a rousing number that instantly gets stuck in your head and will inspire spur of the moment sing-alongs for weeks after listening. My kids and I have learned all the lyrics and I will testify that the song will improve any long car ride. Give it a try.





No comments: