Thursday, February 8, 2007

Favorite Children's Cds

In honor of the new addition to the household, little Violet, I am thinking of all the great children's music that she'll get to hear. Here is a list of some of my favorite children's recordings:

Woody Guthrie: Songs to Grow On for Mother and Child - The best collection of children's songs, bar none.

Various: Children's Favorites: 23 Original Hit Recordings - I was looking for a Shirley Temple version of "On the Good Ship Lollipop" and I stumbled across this great compilation. Most of the songs are World War II era, some familiar ("Big Rock Candy Mountain", "Teddy Bear's Picnic") and some gems I'd never heard before ("Buckingham Palace", "Run Rabbit Run").

Danny Kaye: Mommy, Gimme a Drinka Water - This one has not been reissued so you can't find it anywhere (maybe on used vinyl). This is hilarious. You can at least read the lyrics to the title track here.

Taj Mahal: Shake Sugaree - Get down and funky with Taj. Includes "Fishin Blues" and "Brown Girl in the Ring".

Marlo Thomas: Free To Be, You and Me - The ultimate hippie kid's album. Great messages in the songs.

The Persuasions: On the Good Ship Lollipop - Acappella versions of classic kid's songs performed by this great R&B group.

Jerry Garcia/David Grisman: Not For Kids Only - "Ain't no bugs on me/ain't no bugs on me/there may be bugs on some of you mugs/but there ain't no bugs on me"

Various: Jungle Book Soundtrack - Louis Prima riffing on "I Wanna Be Like You". Say no more.

Various: The Sound of Music Soundtrack - "My Favorite Things" is not only one of the greatest children's songs ever written, it may be one of the greatest songs written period (at least when Coltrane does it).

1 comment:

mimulus said...

Don't forget Dane Zane (Of Del Fuegos fame) and his kids music: Rocket Ship Beach, Family Music, etc.

I am also partial to John Lithgows Singin in the Bathtub album