Monday, January 29, 2007

Band Spotlight: Gomez


I first heard about Gomez a couple of years ago when someone mentioned on the Wilco message board
http://forums.viachicago.org/ that they had covered a couple of Wilco songs during one of their shows. Well, if these guys are covering Wilco they can't be all that bad huh? I picked up their latest album How We Operate last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I felt it was bit inconsistent. Still, it was enough to get me to check out their first album Bring It On, which was released in 1998 (yes, they've been around that long). Wow, what a fantastic album. I am now on a mission to hear everything they've put out. The band is from Southport, England and consists of five members, three of which sing lead vocals. The variety of the vocal styles echo the variety of their musical sound. Sometimes bluesy, sometimes reggae-tinged, with a "jam-band" feel, albeit without the extended jams. One of the vocalists has a sound reminiscent of Eddie Vedder, adding a gritty element to their gorgeous melodies. I'll be seeing them at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma, CA on Feb. 19 and I'll be sure to post a concert review soon after. Check out this live concert on NPR or watch/listen to some tracks on MySpace or their official website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.